Low-FODMAP Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup lactose-free whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, unpacked
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Better Batter All-purpose Gluten-free Flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 3 – 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-x-11-inch casserole dish (2 1/2 quarts) with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes with a clean produce brush and rinse with cool water. Cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half into quarters. Place them into a large pot and cover with water. Boil until tender (between 7 to 15 minutes – time to cook depends on the size of the potatoes). Drain sweet potatoes and return to the pot.
- To the pot of sweet potatoes, add butter, low-FODMAP milk, cinnamon, brown sugar and mash with a potato masher until smooth. After mashing for a minute or two I used a hand mixer to help make the potatoes very smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to transfer the mashed potatoes to the prepared casserole dish and smooth over the top. Place in the oven for 5 minutes. While the sweet potatoes are heating, make the topping.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, low-FODMAP flour, cinnamon, and salt. Next, mix in chopped pecans and flaxseeds.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Sprinkle top with half the streusel topping and 1 1/2 cups marshmallows. Top with the remaining streusel topping and marshmallows. Place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the marshmallows are lightly browned and streusel is golden brown.