There is endless way to eat eggs – and here’s another to add to the list – baked! I saw this recipe on BBC Good Food and couldn’t wait to try! Oh, but wait right there…the recipe has onion, oh dear, and garlic, big oh dear. Cue the Monash University low-FODMAP app to help me adapt away (at this point I have a fairly good idea of the FODMAP-friendly foods, but having the app on hand is so helpful to check portions, and for those forgetful moments!)
So, here’s what you’ll need to enjoy a FODMAP-friendly version (serves 2) of some de-licious baked eggs:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes*
- 2 tsp paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp cumin
- Fresh basil
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *I recommend buying better quality tins of tomatoes for a thicker sauce – the cheaper tomatoes are more watery (I used one can of each and noticed the difference)
These ingredients are just a guide – the joy of this recipe is that you can add to the tomato sauce whichever flavourings take your fancy.
- Heat the oil in the pan. Then add the chopped chilli, red pepper and a few sprigs of fresh basil.
- When softened, add the chopped tomatoes, paprika, cumin, and black pepper. When the flavours have mixed together, give it a taste (without burning your mouth!) and check that it is to your tastes, altering if necessary.
- When you’re happy with the flavour, make four dips in the sauce using the back of a wooden spoon. Crack the eggs into each dip, adding a sprinkling of paprika and some more basil leaves. Don’t worry if it looks a bit messy – it’s not meant to be neat and tidy!
- Now cover for 6-8 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking*
- Serve up and enjoy with some gluten-free toast or potatoes, for brunch, or dinner.
*Make sure you have a frying pan with a lid, or some foil to cover the pan at step 4 – I was lid-less and wondering why the eggs weren’t cooking properly on top – duh! Foil to the rescue.
I really enjoyed this quick, healthy, and tasty dish – will definitely be making again! Just eggsellent (sorry!!) Hope you enjoy…