YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
My husband took these noodles to work for lunch one day. He loved them—but he had no idea he
was eating tempeh! He’d thought it was chicken, and, of course, I took that as a compliment. Share
that story with anyone in your family who’s uncertain about trying tempeh. It goes so well with these
creamy, peanutty noodles. If you can tolerate it, pep them up with a pinch of red pepper flakes.
LOW FODMAP THAI PEANUT NOODLES WITH TEMPEH Ingredients
- 8 OUNCES (225 G) LINGUINE-STYLE STIR-FRY RICE NOODLES
- ¼ CUP (65 G) NATURAL CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 ML) GLUTEN-FREE SOY SAUCE OR TAMARI, DIVIDED
- 2 TABLESPOONS (28 ML) RICE WINE VINEGAR
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) PURE MAPLE SYRUP
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) TOASTED SESAME OIL
- ½ TEASPOON GRATED FRESH GINGER
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) CANOLA OIL OR OTHER NEUTRAL OIL
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC, PEELED
- 8 OUNCES (225 G) TEMPEH, CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) CUBES
- 1 CUP (110 G) SHREDDED C ARROTS
- 4 CUPS (120 G) FRESH BABY SPINACH
- ½ OF A BUNCH OF SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY), SLICED
- ½ CUP (8 G) CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
LOW FODMAP THAI PEANUT NOODLES WITH TEMPEH Steps
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the noodles
according to the package directions.
- Reserve ¼ cup (60 ml) of the cooking liquid.
- Drain and rinse in cold running water.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, 2 tablespoons (28 ml) of the soy sauce, the rice
wine vinegar, maple syrup, sesame oil, and ginger.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until browned, about 1 to 2 minutes, and then remove
the garlic from the pan and discard.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce, the tempeh, and the
carrots to the wok and stir-fry until the tempeh is
lightly browned and the carrots are tender about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved cooking liquid from the noodles, the spinach, and the scallions.
- Stir-fry until the spinach is wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the peanut sauce and noodles and toss gently to combine and heat through.
- Serve sprinkled with the chopped fresh cilantro.