YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
Kids and grown-ups alike will love these homemade chicken fingers served with a sweet-and-savory dipping sauce that takes about two seconds to stir together. Soaking the chicken in a “buttermilk” bath of
lactose-free milk and lemon juice keeps them moist and tender on the inside, while low-FODMAP glutenfree cornflakes add a satisfying crunch. (If cornflakes aren’t your thing, though, you can use crushed crispy rice cereal or gluten-free cracker crumbs—or a combination of any of these items—instead.) All you need on the side here is a fresh green salad. This recipe was inspired by Cooking Light magazine.
LOW FODMAP OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN FINGERS WITH MAPLE MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE Ingredients
- 1 POUND (455 G) BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN TENDERS
- ½ CUP (120 ML) LACTOSE-FREE OR NONDAIRY MILK
- 2 TEASPOONS FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 1 CUP (34 G) CRUSHED GLUTEN-FREE
- CORNFLAKES, GLUTEN-FREE CRUSHED CRISPY
- RICE CEREAL (34 G), OR CRUSHED GLUTEN-FREE CRACKERS (25 G)
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
- ½ TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ¼ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- ¼ CUP (60 G) MAYONNAISE
- 2 TABLESPOONS (30 G) DIJON MUSTARD
- 1 TO 2 TABLESPOONS (15 TO 28 ML) PURE MAPLE SYRUP
LOW FODMAP OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN FINGERS WITH MAPLE MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE Steps
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. (For easy cleanup, line the sheet with aluminum foil first.)
- Place the chicken tenders in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping the chicken tenders over halfway through.
- On a shallow plate, combine the cornflake crumbs, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the milk mixture, draining off any excess liquid.
- Roll each chicken tender in the cornflake mixture to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken tenders on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Turn the chicken tenders over and bake for another 7 to 9 minutes until they’re no longer pink inside and
the juices run clear.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the dipping sauce by stirring the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard
together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Whisk in the maple syrup to taste.
- Serve the chicken fingers with the dipping sauce.