Enjoy these Spring-inspired Low-FODMAP Cream Filled Carrot Cake Cookies. If you have little ones what might be fun is to give them the task of spreading the filling in between the cookies. You could even take a little bit of the filling and mix in different colors of pastel food coloring to make these even more festive.
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 ounces lactose-free cream cheese (from a bar not whipped), room temperature
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (without FODMAPs)
- 1 teaspoon cracked ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink rock salt
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed, finely grated, carrots (about 4-5 large carrots)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, no sugar added
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make filling: With an electric stand mixer (or electric hand mixer), beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice; beat until combined. Cover; chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Whole frosting is chilling, make cookies: In the bowl of your stand electric mixer, whisk together butter, sugars, and egg. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; stir until combined. Mix in oats, carrots, and cranberries.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten balls of dough gently with the palm of your hand. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, turn half of the cookies over, bottom side up; add about 1 teaspoon chilled cream-cheese filling. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread filling to edges. Serve immediately.