Looking for something delicious to make for breakfast? Try this low-FODMAP recipe for Banana Chia Seed Pancakes. Not only will you like them, your family/friends will too.
These Low-FODMAP Banana Chia Seed Pancakes are becoming a weekly family favorite for breakfast and for good reason. They are so good!
This recipe is low-FODMAP and was adapted from a recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. I tried the recipe twice using King Arthur Flour and then Bob’s Red Mill® Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour, and ultimately, Bob’s gave my pancakes the best soft and fluffy consistency. I also changed up the other ingredients a bit (from King Arthur’s recipe).
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour is low-FODMAP and always outshines other low-FODMAP flours with so many of my recipes. If you are using this flour for another recipe, keep in mind it already contains xanthan gum so you don’t need to use additional xanthan gum if called for.
If you don’t have chia seeds, opt for ground flax seeds.
I like Bob’s Red Mill® Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour but other low-FODMAP flours you can try are:
- Better Batter®: Rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, potato flour, xanthan gum (corn free), pectin
- Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend®: Brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour (would need additional xanthan gum for the pancake recipe)
- King Arthur Flour Gluten Free®: Specialty flour blend (rice flour, tapioca starch), potato starch, whole grain brown rice flour, vitamin and mineral blend (calcium carbonate, niacinamide, reduced iron, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin) (would need additional xanthan gum)
Banana Chia Seed Pancakes – Low-FODMAP
- 1-1/3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour (or other gluten-free all-purpose baking flour with xanthan gum)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup Water +2 tbsp (warm)
- 3/4 of one medium smashed unripe banana
- 2 Egg Whites stiffly beaten (set aside)
- In a large bowl combine Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour, baking powder, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon and chia seeds. In another bowl combine maple syrup, vanilla, olive oil and warm water. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients; then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Spray a pan or grill with olive oil or butter spray and set to medium heat. Ladle pancake batter and then flip pancakes over when they begin to puff with bubbles and become lightly browned on the edges, about 3 – 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with maple syrup and crushed low-FODMAP nuts such as walnuts or macadamia nuts.