Thanks for visiting! If you are new to our community and do not know about FODMAPs, read this post to learn more: 10 Facts About FODMAPs
Try any of these FODMAP friendly foods to help relieve gas:
- Water – Drink plenty of it to help “flush” out your system (eh-hemm, get the train moving as my Mother would say)
- Peppermint – The University of Maryland’s Medical Center states: “peppermint relaxes the muscles that allow painful digestive gas to pass.” Try enteric-coated peppermint capsules, peppermint leaves and organic peppermints (not made with sugar alcohols).
- Cinnamon – In Ayurvedic medicine, cinnamon is used to balance digestion and help restore the stomach to a balanced state. Sprinkle it on lactose-free yogurt, kefir, in gluten-free oats or use it after you eat to aid in digestion by adding a teaspoon to decaf green tea. If you have diabetes, sprinkle cinnamon on high carb foods to lower the impact on your blood sugar levels.
- Fresh, raw Pineapple – Bromelain, found in pineapple, is an enzyme that aids in digestion and helps prevent inflammation and swelling. I have found many sources that say you should consider eating pineapple alone so the bromelain isn’t used up digesting other food.
- Flax seeds – Making a smoothie? Need a topping for your lactose-free yogurt? Add some flax seeds as they can prevent excessive gas and fend off constipation.
- Green juice – made with kale, spinach, lemon, ginger, and carrots. Green juice can help alkalize the body and reduce gas. (source -Ravi Raman) #FODMAPLifeTip – plan on drinking this fresh juice only if you will have access to a toilet for a couple of hours as it may help flush you out – quickly!
Love Us, Follow Us and Subscribe! Click on the links below:
Share this post! Thanks and be well – Colleen