Read the story about how I came to know Hot Cross Buns ~ and so glad I did get to indulge in such deliciousness!
Low-FODMAP Hot Cross Buns
Makes 20 buns
For the Buns:
- 3/4 cup (110 g) brown raisins
- 2 cups (475 ml) warm but not hot lactose-free milk
- 2 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 cups Low-FODMAP Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon each fresh lemon and orange zest
- 2 extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (55 g) melted butter, warm
- 1 egg mixed with 2 teaspoons water for egg wash for top of buns
- Extra melted butter or olive oil spray for greasing muffin pans
- Extra tapioca flour for cutting cross on each bun
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups (225 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lactose-free milk
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (adjust to your taste preferences)
- Place raisins in a cup or small bowl and fill with water. Let raisins sit until plump.
- Grease two 12-muffin pans with melted butter or olive oil spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together warm milk and 1 tablespoon sugar until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in yeast. Set aside to proof (you will see foam on top).
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, spices, zests and 1/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment, place eggs, vinegar, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix briefly to combine. Add yeast mixture. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture. Turn up speed to medium high and beat for 3 minutes. Add raisins and beat on low until just combined.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Dip a sharp knife into extra tapioca flour and cut a deep line from top to bottom into top of each bun. Dip your knife again in tapioca flour and cut in another line to make a cross. Repeat for each bun. Extra tapioca flour left on top of buns is OK.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place muffin pans in a warm place and let rise until double in bulk–about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- After buns have risen, brush tops of each bun lightly with egg wash. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes–or until tops of buns are golden brown on top.
- When buns are done baking, remove from oven, carefully remove buns from muffin pans and place on racks to cool.
- Make glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and lemon juice until smooth. When buns are cooled, using a tablespoon or ladle, drizzle on a bit of glaze into crosses of each bun. If crosses have sealed up somewhat, you may need to cut into crosses again, allowing space to drizzle in glaze. Allow glaze to drip down sides ~ absolute yumminess! You will have some glaze leftover which can be used to drizzle over low-FODMAP fruit or stir a little into oatmeal or quinoa flakes.
This recipe was adapted to be made low-FODMAP from The Art of Gluten-Free Baking, by Jeanne Sauvage.
Love Us, Follow Us and Subscribe! Click on the links below: